Local Resources to Conduct Research
Local Archival Photos Online
Among the collections: Automobile Club of Southern California collection, 1892-1963, California Historical Society Collection, 1860-1960, Chinese Historical Society of Southern California Collection, 1880-1933, Japanese American Relocation Digital Archive, Korean American Digital Archive and more.
The Image Archives illustrate the history of Santa Monica area from 1875 to the present day. The Archives consist of historical photograph collections, slides and postcards. The emphasis of the Archives is the City and its landscape, including views of Palisades Park, the beaches, piers, historic buildings, hotels, bathhouses, Douglas Aircraft, streets, Venice, Malibu, Topanga, the Southern Pacific Railroad and more.
The Los Angeles Public Library's History and Genealogy Department's Photo Collection emphasizes the history of Los Angeles, Southern California, and California. This Internet-accessible collection is one of the treasures of the Central Library and the Library continues to add from the archive. These images are from various collections described in the Photo Collection Overview. For details on ordering and processes, please check the FAQs and links below.
National Archives on the Internet
Genealogy charts, presidential documents, federal records, government documents etc., Iraq war videos, Pre-TV era newsreels
Movie image archives, audio (including live music) and texts. Among the collection are 9/11 TV Archives, 2008 election speeches.
Free old time radio clips including Abbot and Costello, Amos and Andy, the Mel Blanc Show, Milton Berle Show, My Favorite Husband (precursor to "I Love Lucy"), You Bet Your Life, Ozzie and Harriet and others.
Old time radio clips for a fee (about $5) including Winston Churchill recordings, FDR Fireside chats and speeches, Hitler recordings, former slave interviews, Nixon recordings etc. Historical Recordings
L.A. AS SUBJECT Hosted by the USC Libraries, L.A. as Subject is an alliance of research archives, libraries, and collections dedicated to preserving the rich history of the Los Angeles region
Autry National Center: Museum of the American West and Southwest Museum of the American Indian
4700 Western Heritage Way (in Griffith Park adjacent to L.A. Zoo),
Los Angeles 90027
Contact: Marva Felchlin, Director of the Autry Library
(323) 667-2000 X 349
Topics: Native American Experience in California/Los Angeles, Donner Party, Pioneers and Mexican people losing lands to settlers
California African American Museum
600 State Street (Exposition Park)
Los Angeles, CA 90037
California Citrus Industry
Contact: David Boule 310 224-4959 (daytime), 310 326-1894 (eve)
Private collection email@example.com
Collection Name: The Orange and the Myth of California California and the orange have influenced each other for almost five hundred years, with the orange becoming a symbol for the myth of California as a romantic, agrarian paradise.
Craft and Folk Art Museum
5814 Wilshire Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90036
Contact: Holly Jerger, Education Director
(323) 937-4230 x 28
Filipino American Library (FAL)
135 N. Park View St.
Los Angeles CA 90026-5215
Contact: Jonathan Lorenzo, Administrator
(213) 382-0478 (FAX)
Hours: MON-FRI 1-5pm & by appt.
Fowler Museum at UCLA
405 Hilgard Ave.
Los Angeles, CA 90024
Fowler Building, located just west of Royce Hall
Contact: Betsy Quick
(310) 825 -9341
Huntington Library, Art Collection and Botanical Garden
1151 Oxford Rd.
San Marino, CA 91108
Contact: Peter Blodgett, Curator of Western American Manuscripts
Topic: Gold Rush (contact for more ideas)
Contact: Sue Hodson, Curator of Literary Manuscripts
Topics: Civil Rights Movement in L.A., Langston Hughes, and First African-American Ballet Company
Japanese American National Museum
369 E. 1st St.
Los Angeles, CA 90012
Contact: Select the "Learn" link at the top of the web site to access the Hirasaki National Resource Center. To make an appointment to Reference inquiries pertaining to Japanese American history and culture and the holdings and exhibitions of the Japanese American National Museum e-mail
You may check up on the status of your request by calling (213) 830-5680.
Topics: Japanese Relocation Camps and WWII Japanese Veterans who fought for the United States.
Museum of Latin American Art (MoLAA)
628 Alamitos Ave.
Long Beach, CA 90802
Contact: Cynthia MacMullin, Curator
(562) 437-1689 x109
Topic: Latin American Artists
The Museum of Neon Art (MONA)
501 W. Olympic Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90015
Contact: Kim Koga, Director
Topic: Preservation of neon signs in Los Angeles and Nationally
Olvera Street El Pueblo De Los Angeles Historic Park
845 N. Alameda Street
Los Angeles, CA 90012
Contact: Sue Ellen Cheng, Head Curator of the History Department
Skirball Cultural Center
2701 N. Sepulveda Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90049
Contact: Gabriella Tsabag, Senior Educato
Topic: All aspects of Jewish history e.g. Sephardic Jews, exile from Egypt, Passover, Hanukah
Watts Towers Art Center, Noah Sylvester Purifoy Gallery
1727 E. 107th St.
Los Angles, CA 90002
Contact: Rogelio Acevedo, Education Coordinator
Topic: The artist Simon Rodia's and his community's struggle against the city inspectors to build and keep the Watts Towers intact.
- Los Angeles Unified School District Archives
- Museum of Radio and Television
- California Association of Museums
- California Council for the Humanities
- California Council for the Social Studies
- California Department of Education
- Constitutional Rights Foundation
- National History Day California
Archives and Libraries
- Bancroft Library Pictorial Collection --finding aids for images in huge California Heritage Project
- California Library Directory --public, academic, and state agency libraries
- California Newspaper Project
- California State Archives
- California State Library
State Parks - Archives --at the State Museum Resource
Center; documents and
photographs relating to the state parks
- California State University, Fullerton-Oral History Program
- Caltech Institute Archives --especially good for the history of science
- Hoover Institution: Library and Archives
- Huntington Library, Art Collections, And Botanical Gardens --houses one of America's great manuscript collections
- Japanese American History Archives
- Melvyl --union catalog of University of California libraries
- National Archives Pacific Region (San Francisco)
- Online Archive of California --searchable union catalog of finding aids to archival collections at various California repositories
- Richard Nixon Library & Birthplace Foundation
- Ronald Reagan Presidential Library
- Sacramento Archives and Museum Collection Center
Historical Societies, Museums and Historic Sites
- Autry Museum of Western Heritage
- Berkeley Historical Society
- California African - American Museum
- California Historical Society
- California Military Museum
- California State Historical Landmarks --pictures of most California landmarks taken by Donald Laird
- California State Parks --includes state historic parks, railroad museum, and Indian museum
- Chinese Historical Society of America
- Contra Costa County Historical Society
- Filoli - Historical House and Gardens
- Firehouse Museum
- Homestead Farm Museum
- International Surfing Museum
- Intel Museum --computer museum
- Maturango Museum
- Monterey County Historical Society
- Monterey State Historic Park
- Museum of Art and History - Santa Cruz
- Museum of the City of San Francisco
- Museum of Flying
- Museum of Tolerance
- National Maritime Museum Association
- National Park Service Sites
- Oakland Museum of California
- Petersen Automotive Museum
- Rosicrucian Egyptian Museum
- San Anselmo Historical Museum
- San Diego Aerospace Museum
- San Diego Historical Society
- San Diego Maritime Museum
- Santa Barbara Maritime Museum
- Sausalito Historical Society
- Tech Museum of Innovation